The US president has repeatedly hinted at a possible regime-change operation on the island
A Democratic-led effort to limit US President Donald Trump’s authority to use military force against Cuba without congressional authorization has failed in the Senate.
The Republican-majority Senate’s vote on the measure on Tuesday narrowly dismissed it as out of order in a 51-47 tally on grounds that there are no active hostilities with Cuba.
Senator Tim Kaine, a Virginia Democrat who introduced the war powers resolution in March, said it was needed as Trump’s blockade of the island had caused “humanitarian crises across Cuba,” including disruptions to medical care, shortages of clean water and rising food prices.
EXPLORE MORE
Missing Juvenile Adrian Henriquez from the 26th District
The Philadelphia Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating missing…
Trump threatens more NATO members with troop withdrawals
The US president said he could consider reducing the number of American…
44 Aqua Security repositories defaced after Trivy supply chain breach
Malicious Trivy images on Docker Hub spread infostealer malware, exposing developers after…
How good will Lancia be on gravel? – DirtFish
“On fast sections, it’s better , for sure,” he said. “On slow…
Missing Juvenile Woodjina Stephen from the 15th District
The Philadelphia Police Department is seeking the public’s assistance in locating missing…
PolyShell flaw exposes Magento and Adobe Commerce to file upload attacks
Sansec found a Magento and Adobe Commerce REST API flaw, named PolyShell,…
Trump imposed an oil blockade on Cuba in February, tightening the decades-old US embargo by threatening sanctions against countries and companies that ship crude to the island. He has repeatedly hinted at possible regime-change operations against the socialist government in Havana, pledging “a new dawn for Cuba” and warning that it is “next” after he is “finished with this,” in reference to the ongoing US-Israeli war on Iran.
Trump said his policy of “peace through strength” – including the raid to abduct Venezuelan President Nicolas Maduro and his wife in January – had been “very, very successful.”
Cuba has faced nationwide blackouts and severe fuel shortages in recent months, after Venezuela – once its main oil supplier – halted shipments under US pressure.
Cuban Foreign Minister Bruno Rodriguez condemned Washington’s “ferocious blockade” of fuel supplies, calling it a “brutal onslaught” on the country’s economic system.
The situation briefly eased in late March, when a Russian tanker delivered 100,000 tons of crude after reportedly bypassing the US blockade. Trump later said that Washington doesn’t “mind having somebody get a boat load” into the island, as “they need to survive.” Moscow has said it will maintain support for Cuba amid the tightening blockade.
