Welcome to the Morning Skate, our roundup of links on Philly Hockey Now as well as other sites around the National Hockey Now network and hockey world!
Flyers News & Rumors
- Elliotte Friedman dropped two very interesting nuggets about the Flyers, including one about one of their longest-tenured players. (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Flyers were supposedly among the frontrunners for Seth Jones (Philly Hockey Now), but things may be changing. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dougie Hamilton needs to be the Flyers’ top target this offseason. (Philly Hockey Now)
Flyers Expansion Draft
- The Expansion Draft is just a few weeks away. Who will the Flyers protect? Who will they expose? (Philly Hockey Now)
- The Kraken may have a low-risk, high-reward option to select from the Flyers in the Expansion Draft. Nicolas Aube-Kubel is flying under the radar. Why might they take him, and why might they pass on him? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Shayne Gostisbehere is another option for the Kraken if they want an offensive defenseman, but is it realistic? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Now, James van Riemsdyk seems like the safest bet to land in Seattle, but could the Kraken go elsewhere? (Philly Hockey Now)
- Jakub Voracek could be an option for the Kraken as well. He’ll be one of the best players available, but also have one of the largest contracts. (Philly Hockey Now)
- Dave Hakstol was hired as the first coach of the Seattle Kraken. Could he impact their selection from the Flyers in the expansion draft? (Philly Hockey Now)
Stay up to date on all the latest Flyers rumors and NHL trade talk by bookmarking our page.
Follow and Subscribe!
Please consider supporting great daily coverage of the Philadelphia Flyers by subscribing to Philly Hockey Now for just $3.50 a month or $30 for a year!
Around the NHL
OTR: Offer Sheet Drama, GMs Fear Lamoriello’s Revenge & Kraken ‘Poker Face’ | PHN+ – (National Hockey Now)
The NHL trade market continues to be active with chatter but not much action…yet. Could the New Jersey Devils be the one to get things going, and who are they targeting? If chatter has any credibility, we could finally see more offer sheets to star RFAs, such as breakout defenseman Cale Makar, this offseason.
The Secret to Late-Round Draft Gems: The Right Birthday & Scouting Profile? (San Jose Hockey Now)
Recent research suggests there are a couple ways that the Sharks can improve their chances at discovering their next late-round gem.
First, look for players with later birthdays. Next, look for a certain type of scouting profile.
Examining What the Islanders May Offer Anthony Beauvillier in a New Deal – (NYI Hockey Now)
It’s quite clear that Lou Lamoriello’s first priority this offseason is for the New York Islanders to lock up the restricted free agents that have been crucial to the team’s success. Adam Pelech is viewed as the first domino that will fall for the Islanders and will set the pace for what comes after during the offseason.
Callahan: The Unpopular Cap Move Golden Knights Must Make Now – (Vegas Hockey Now)
It comes down to this: the Vegas Golden Knights need to make a very unpopular decision to rid themselves of cap space this summer. It will mean trading a fan favorite and doing so in a way that returns prospects and picks, not actual salary. All signs point to a certain player.
Should Washington Capitals Consider A Kuznetsov-Tarasenko Trade? – (Washington Hockey Now)
Interesting speculation came out of St. Louis during Game 5 of the Stanley Cup Final that could be of interest to the Washington Capitals: Vladimir Tarasenko wants out.
Offseason Shopping: Potential NHL Buyouts for the Penguins to Watch – (Pittsburgh Hockey Now)
The NHL buyout window opened 24 hours after the Tampa Bay Lightning lifted the Stanley Cup on Wednesday night. Beginning late Thursday, NHL teams can swallow hard then spend millions of dollars on a player to not play for them anymore. Last offseason, the Pittsburgh Penguins used that buyout option on (trigger warning) Jack Johnson. This summer, there are plenty of big names also teetering.
Analysis: One Scenario Might Prompt Red Wings to Trade Bertuzzi to Maple Leafs – (Detroit Hockey Now)
Not all trade rumors are created equal. Some are more credible than others. You always have to consider the source of the rumor and you have to ask yourself: Does this make sense? The truth is that more than 95% of the rumors you hear don’t happen.
Boston Bruins Center Charlie Coyle Undergoes Multiple Knee Surgeries – (Boston Hockey Now)
Boston Bruins center Charlie Coyle underwent two surgeries on his left knee recently and is recovering nicely according to his agent Bob Norton.
Scott Takes: Will it be Tyson Jost or Ryan Graves to Seattle? – (Colorado Hockey Now)
In just two short weeks, one Avalanche player will exchange their Burgundy and Blue sweater for one of Seattle’s sleek new Deep Sea and Ice Blue getups.
Photo: Heather Barry Images